Based on mutual aid, ARFEC - Association Romande des Familles d'Enfants atteints d'un Cancer - aims to support and accompany families of children with cancer during and after treatment.
Almost 30 years ago, a handful of parents decided to get together to fight their child's illness, share their experiences and support each other in the face of hardship. Thus, in 1987, the association was born, with the active and dynamic support of Dr Daniel Beck, then head of the pediatric hemato-oncology department of the CHUV. Very quickly, ARFEC expanded to offer the same support to families in all French-speaking cantons.
ITS AIMS ARE THE FOLLOWING:
- accompany families during and after their child's illness
- promote contact between parents/legal representatives, sick children and their siblings
- defending the interests of families with the authorities, nursing staff, social services, insurance companies, schools and employers
- Inform the public in order to better understand the themes and issues related to childhood cancer
- encourage all research on the various forms of childhood cancer
- maintain relationships with other organizations pursuing similar goals
- support community life for young adults who were sick as children.